Wednesday, July 7, 2010

24 years of existance


So today, I'm 24. Not any huge number by any means but unlike most years I actually feel a little different. Usually I just roll over and still feel the same - and it's not that I feel older but maybe more efficient or motivated. And I don’t even know what it is I'm motivated for - just in general. So like always I want to make a to do list - but I want to keep too it. And I want other to keep me too it to. But this time it's fun stuff. It's thing that will get me out of my bubble and hopefully enjoy some new things.

1. I want to go to the movies at least once a month. Redboxing is good and all... but we went to the movies a week or so ago and really enjoyed it. Prior to Toy Story 3, it was probably the last HP that I saw in a full priced theater. So yeah, it had been a while.

2. Mini-trips. We (Amanda and I) talked about taking a lot of little trips in and around Texas and the surrounding states. 5-ish hour drives in each direction to get out of the doldrums we fall into in our everyday lives.

3. Volunteer. I'm thinking either tutoring or pets. Maybe both. Kids would be safer but I think pets would be funnier... but I read more into in and they caution you a lot if you have your own pets so that you pass any disease from the shelter pets to yours.

4. Spend money on things that matter - I want to give myself an allowance to buy myself soemthing every once in a while. Not of food like I normally do, but if I have money left over at the end of the month I can use it on me. Something I'll really enjoy - whatever that is.

5. Date. Yes I know... Me, really? Yes. This is probably the one I'm gonna need the most help with. Not just to get the dates, b/c that is obviously problem numero 1... but also to make myself actually do it. I know me well enough to say that if/when I get asked out (which may not even be within this year, wheph) I'd probably run like hell in the opposite direction. I've always had this fantasy, for lack of a better word (maybe ideal is better), that I'd just fall into a thing with an existing friend/acquaintance. The whole thought of being set up or just meeting someone for the very first time with "expectations" is too much. But since I'm not falling into anything with someone I already know it leaves option number two... that I'm mortified of. :( Yet, I want to be pushed to do it, if the occasion arises.

6. Be spontaneous - you cant plan this, or it isnt spontaneous. I know... but I want to try and let my gaurd down so that I can be spontaneous. Even if it's just saying yes when I want to/normally say no to something. Just do new things - they almost always turn out. And if they dont, well then I'll know for next time...

7. New people - somehow, somewhere there has to be a group of people that I mesh with. I love my friends - esp the two who read this - and under no condition and I'm trying to replace. But others in "our" group dont seem to mesh very well anymore. I think I've purged a lot in the past. Some of it I regret and some of it I dont. Regardless, I would like to add a few new people to my friends list. I'm just not sure how to go about finding new friends - that's always been Amanda's strong suit.

But that goes back to the whole core of my attempt for this year – getting out of my comfort zone and seeing what happens. Not letting things pass me by because I’m unsure of the outcome. No one is truly prepared for anything – I need to stop playing it safe.


So for my birthday they graffitied my cubical with pictures of the cast of Hairpray… my fav of course being Christopher Walken!

1 comment:

  1. You crack me up. I have always been spoiled and have had school or church to find friends at which helps because hey you know when someone is there with you, you have something in common. And these fab girls I know introduced me to my husband so that was easy too. I have no idea how to go about all this in the "real world" but perhaps I can learn on you:D

    ReplyDelete